During the exchange year in the Czech Republic, you will live with your host family. All students receive the information about the host family from YFU organization in their home country. Once there is a host family that matched with the YFU criteria and selected to host you as a student, you can start being in contact with them.
Same as in all other YFU organizations, host families are volunteers, they don´t receive any financial rewards for accepting you in their family.
What does YFU host family expect from a student?
- host families generally like the idea of hosting an exchange student, because they share the values that are involved in the YFU programs
- host family will expect you to become an active member of their family
- host family will expect you to learn from them, but also to learn from you something about your own culture (that´s where the cultural exchange is happening)
- host family is the closest relation that you should establish during your exchange - no matter in which country you are.
How does a typical host family live?
- first, there is nothing like a typical host family. They are all different, every family has a different lifestyle and can be different, even if it is only in small details. To learn about the differences and to appreciate the differences - that´s one of the things you should learn from the YFU program.
- many Czech host families have their own children. The kids may be very small, but many of families may have kids in your age. Some say it´s easier to learn Czech if there are small kids in the family (they are learining their first language together with you, you´ll see that smal kids are fun), some see the advantage on having host siblings at the similar age with you (you may have similar interests with them). Be open about your expectation - that´s a good trick how to start a great relationship with your host family.
- you can be placed in a host family around the whole country of Czech Republic, including bigger towns and cities, small towns or villages. See it as an opportunity to learn about different lifestyle! Czech Republic is a small country, but with a lot of diversity inside. As an exchange student, you will learn about this diversity!
- in their free time, many families go out into nature, museums or just for an ice cream in the city. You may receive some flexibility from your host family and partly you can organize your free time on your own. Having your Czech class mates, YFU, other exchange students, various sport and art clubs, you will be able to put together such program in your free time that you will enjoy your exchange year fully!